Thursday 11 February 2016

Robert Weaver: Process/Aesthetic



These are some of Robert Weaver's observational drawings in charcoal. I think the fact that these drawings are done from observation, and not reference, brings an immediacy that is highly appropriate to this subject matter of men playing baseball - as you get a sense of them moving and playing the sport.  These drawings also show a great understanding of composition, achieved through his careful selection of  information that is relevant to these scenes and also some interesting use of perspective - as seen in the bottom drawing. I think these drawings a good example of an illustrator recording the real world, whilst still carefully considering the images he is creating and therefore achieving something not completely representational. After the initial visual language sessions I aimed to do more observational drawing and did not quite follow this through, I would like to do more of this as I think it will really help my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment