Saturday 29 April 2017

I have been shortlisted!

A couple days ago I found out that I have been shortlisted for the Penguin Random house design award. I am so surprised, and of course completely thrilled!

My shortlisted design is one for their Children's book award, for the title 'The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 133/4'. Being recognised within this award has made me think more seriously about publishing as an avenue for the future of my practice. The feedback from the art director I have found really valuable and it is interesting to see that the typography on the design is probably its biggest weakness - which is what I have struggled most with this year and in initially submitting designs to the competition.

In light of this I think I will definitely start looking into this area of illustration more...there are definite aspects of responding to books or publications that suit my practice - the ability to be more abstract or conceptual and the focus on layout and simplification. I also really enjoy researching into in-depth subjects and responding the complex issues or themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment