Friday 24 February 2017

Colours May Vary


I found the Colours May Vary talk so interesting, and very relevant to my current exploration of retail or publishing as avenues for my future practice. Running an independent shop like this is also one of my greater ambitions for the future. I love the idea of having a space dedicated to beautiful art objects, as well as running events and workshops for other creatives. 

Becky and Andy's appreciation for the handmade and craftsmanship is something that I feel really resonates with me and my practice. I hope to maybe get in the further contact with them in the future - either for feedback or if I feel that I produce something that would be suitable for the shop. 

What sells best in shop?
  • Really well crafted
  • Universally appealing
  • Well priced 
    • When making something for a retail context, you have to consider is this a commercial object? Will the process provide an appropriate price in which all my costs are covered but I can also achieve some profit... 
How do you price something that you made?
  • Theres the mathematical way of figuring out the cost of making, how many hours you spent on it etc. 
  • In shop they take a 25% - 60% margin - it varies depending on the object. Something more hand crafted, they take less of a margin compared to something more mass produced. 
How do you choose what you stock?
  • They're looking for something new and unique. 
  • It works as a partnership - they both have to like for it to be stocked... 
  • Its all about the experience of the object, not just the visuals - the smell, the feel (tactile), (I found this v. interesting)
How to get in contact?
  • Email, email, email! 
  • They do not like being contacted on social media
  • Go into the shop and leave a piece of work for them to 'digest' (not a whole portfolio though!), with an email so they can contact you. 
  • Email with a description of the project, why you did it? how you made it? ect. 
  • Do not ambush them in the shop, even if ppl are not around they are still at their job and are busy.. 
What are the difficulties in opening up a shop?
  • Its a learning curve - they still feel like their learning more and more all the time... 
  • The lack of reliability in being independent is stressful in terms of maintaining a regular income. Have a safety net - library job. It also means you have to adapt and change e.g. now making own stationary because rent might go up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment