Friday 10 February 2017

Study Task : Industry research presentation

Consider where your practice currently stands and what your ambitions are for it's future

Currently I think my practice focuses on using shape, colour and a mix of figurative and abstract imagery, as well as occasionally found photographs. I really like using handmade processes like print, gouache and cut paper collage. I think these processes are increasingly becoming central to my practice. 

In the future I would like to see my illustrations applied to a range of contexts. Currently however I am most interested in exploring homewares, textiles and zines as possible contexts for my work. 


The creative professionals you have identified to date, their work and the influence they may have on the development of your practice

So with relevance to this I have identified a range of people working within the creative industries that could inform my exploration of these contexts. Some of these are illustrators and designers I admire, some are brands that collaborate with illustrators to create homeware and clothing products and others are idependent publishers, press' or magazines that create or use work that appeal to my personal tastes in illustration.


Who you intent to approach for an interview and why? What will your line of questioning be? How will this inform your practice?

Out of these I have selected Atelier Bingo to approach for interview. I am most interested in finding out more about their work for clients like slowdown studio, tictail, wrap magazine, gorman and many more. I'd also like to understand more about how they function as a collective and their individual roles within this partnership. 

Currently I think my knowledge of the day to day practice and realities of living as a working illustrator is very limited, so I think having the opportunity to question creatives that have synergy with my current practice (like atelier bingo) will be invaluable to my personal development. 

I understand that this contact may be less useful in the of my future practice, however whilst I am still a student I want to use this approachable status to gain response from people who may not still be so accommodating when I leave college. This is also only a small start in the contacts I would like to make within the creative industries, and so I see it as practice for approaching many more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment