Tuesday 20 March 2018

Interview Workshop

The Interview
  • Firm handshake and introduce yourself
  • Make eye contact
  • Sit comfortably - do not cross legs or arms because it cuts off breathing. 
  • Show interest and enthusiasm - lean forward and smile. 

Standard Interviews
  • "Tell me a little about yourself ..." - I graduated from ... last summer. Now living in .... 
  • Education
  • Experience/Activities
  • Knowledge of considered job.
  • Knowledge of organisation and their competitors.
  • Challenging Questions e.g. I see you haven't done any voluntary work, why is that? - logically argue back, e.g. I wanted to commit myself to my studies to do them to my best abilities, in the summer however I did volunteer ... 
  • Do you have any Questions? 

Competency based Interviews
  • Ask you to demonstrate an example for a particular skill needed for considered job e.g. tell me about an occasion when you demonstrated strong leadership/teamwork skills. 
  • Answer with STAR
    • Situation/Task - brief outline
    • Action - how/what/why you did what you did. 
    • Result - what was the outcome? what did you learn? 
    • Relevance - how does this make you a good candidate for the job?

Strength Based Interviews
  • Think about your strengths before interview. 
  • Be honest about what tasks you do not enjoy.
  • Think about how your preferences suit the job requirements.  
  • Likely Questions: 
    • What are you good at?
    • What did you find easiest at university?
    • Describe a successful day you had?
    • What do you learn quickly?
    • What things give you energy?
    • When did you achieve something you were really proud of?
    • What do you enjoy doing the least?

No comments:

Post a Comment