Saturday 9 April 2016

Michael Craig-Martin exhibition



While I was in London I went to the Michael Craig-Martin exhibition "Transcience" at the Serpentine Gallery. Through drawing old and present everyday pieces of technology and design Craig-Martin intends highlight the constant technological advancement of our world. In the exhibition however, I was more interested not by this fundamental idea but the simple and bold aesthetic of his images. I really enjoyed the vibrancy of his colour palettes and the clear definition of the objects through the continuous black line and blocks of colour. The images he is producing I would imagine are made through some form of digital tracing, something I would not normally value as a process and aesthetic. But I think that his understanding of composition and colour, as well as the scale of these images within the exhibition, means he has produced something a bit more interesting and eye-catching than just a trace of an everyday object. 

No comments:

Post a Comment