Tuesday 4 October 2016

Megacrit fan post

I must say I really enjoyed this crit. It was interesting to see work from across all three years, as well as how people use their sketchbook when given free reign of what they can draw. This would be a very long blog post if I showed everything I liked, so I narrowed it down to just two that caught my eye :



I have always really admired this persons work. It seems that every time they put pen to paper a drawing full of character, colour and imagination always emerges. Looking at her sketchbooks was really interesting and I liked how she occasionally used the whole double page spread to draw, (some of which shown in the images above) - making it feel more like a zine than a sketchbook. Her drawing combination of shape, texture and line, as well as a lot of gouache, is also something I would like emulate (if I can) in my own work. 


I found the process by which this person got to these simple, but dynamic, gouache paintings (which was shown in her sketchbook) really interesting. She seemed to draw her subject - foliage - on photoshop using very thick, blobby lines and then transferred this back into the handmade by painting them. I like the idea of using certain processes to obscure or add character to a subject, and then re-creating it in your chosen media. - another idea Jamie suggested to me, along the same lines, is to make things in clay and then draw them : I want to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment