Sunday 27 November 2016

'Inselparadies' by William Edmonds



I bought this zine by William Edmonds from the village bookstore in town. I was drawn to it because of the simplicity of media and the fluidity of line in his painting and drawing. I think the combination of ink/watercolour and coloured pencil is really understated but beautiful, and adds this naive sketchy quality to the work. Buying this has made me think about how recently I have been overcomplicating my media processes, as I feel final pieces need to have a sense of finish to them. I now realise however that leaving media in its raw form and letting it speak for itself provides a greater sense of spontaneity and the handmade. This year, so far, I have been wanting to further develop my drawing ability and style and I think working in a similar way to this illustrator to create more simple understated imagery in terms of media could be a good way of helping with this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment