Monday 6 March 2017

The Corner Shop

Recently I have created a series of greeting cards for a local shop to me back home that sells homewares and gifts - 'The Corner Shop'. It is has been a really valuable experience pitching my designs and collaborating with the owners to produce something we are mutually happy to feature in the shop.




At times, it has been a struggle to appropriately price the cards in consideration of production costs and the shop mark-ups. Initially there was also the idea of producing a series of wrapping paper, however due to production costs being too high for such small volumes in the end it did not seem financially feasible. I think producing these cards have also shown me that in doing this independently the profit margins turn out to be very small - in the future it would be better if I collaborated with a print workshop to produce the physical products... 

Another learning curve in this mini-project has been branding myself and producing logo to act as a bit of promotion on the back of my cards. I have been wanting to do this in a while, but have been struggling to find an identity I am completely happy with...I think this is a start but not completely there as of yet. 


All in all, however, I have really enjoyed producing these card designs and collaborating with the shop. It has been good to be able to play around with something completely non-conceptual, as well as make strides towards professionalising and branding my practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment