Thursday 12 May 2016

Painting the modern garden: Monet to Matisse


Over Easter I went to an exhibition at the RA, showing paintings from a range of artists all looking at the subject of gardens - the main feature being Monet's famous lilies. My family is quite interested in art and so I have been going to these kind of exhibitions since I was quite young, which I am actually really thankful for now because I think it did play a key role in encouraging my interest. As I have grown older though, I have actually found them to be quite jarring. I think that all too often in these type of galleries - the Royal Academy, the national gallery ect - they use unnecessary jargon and overcomplicate simple subjects.  Anyway, what I really took away from this exhibition is that I want to start painting again - oil painting is something that I did a lot at A level and now I think I quite miss it... Another thing is just appreciating a painting, illustration, image for the beauty of it - for the use of colour, texture, and a high level of craft. Sometimes I get tired and frustrated with everything having to have meaning and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment