Sunday 20 May 2018

Presentation Slides & Script


Slide 1: Introducing Presentation.
  • Hi!
  • My presentation is split into three parts:
    • My practice – the key principles of my practice and how these have evolved over the course of degree.
    • The professionalisation of my practice – avenues within the creative industries I would like to pursue as a freelancer or as a full time job.
    • My mission statement for moving forward after graduation.
Slide 2: Early artistic influences

  • Laura Carlin and Scott Bakhal both reflected on the early artistic influences in their life, which got me reflecting on my own artistic education before coming on degree.
  • It was very traditional – looking mainly at the work of impressionists like John Singer Sargent, Monet and Cezanne.
Slide 3: Looking outside contemporary illustration and design
  • Over the past year, I have placed greater importance in looking outside contemporary illustration and design to influence my practice. Why:
    • Richard Richards: influence of input – by looking at things that are less generic your creative output will be more original.
    • Scott Bakhal: do not be influenced by market trends, make the kind of work you want to make and then find a place for it within the creative industries.
  • Although my work could be seen to look like other illustrators, I always hope and strive for it to come from a place of authenticity. 
Slide 4: Composition 

  • This has always been a key principle in my practice – favouring simplicity.  
  • My emphasis on composition was further strengthened through my COP practical project this year.
  • My compositions either have a sense of literal or visual balance.
  • Literal Balance – the tension created through all the visual elements meeting one another within the frame. Almost as if you remove one of them the composition will topple like a game of jenga.
  • Visual Balance – using areas of negative space contrasted with areas of fill or concentrated pattern. 
Slide 5: Shape

  • My love for shape first evolved in first year through one of the visual language sessions focusing on different principles of image-making.
  • It was like a lightbulb – I immediately found it easier to think and create images through shape rather than in line. 
Slide 6: The Handmade
  • I always like my final outcomes to have a sense of the handsome and high-crafting to them – whether this through using actual print processes and collage or just creating this effect through digital simulation.
  • I like using handmade processes because I think it gives an illustration a sense of authenticity and authorship. Especially since my work is so shape-based I think it sometimes lacks the visceral feeling so easily achieved with the varying quality of a drawn line.
Slide 7 - Tone of Voice 
  • I would describe my practice to be fun and playful, but also with air of sophistication mostly coming through with the level of crafting.
  • A quote from 1st year has continued to resonate with me throughout degree : “Evoking a feeling rather than boldly presenting the truth”
  • Similarly to Laura Carlin, as she said in her talk, I do not like to illustrate the obvious response to any given content, often looking to find something that has not already been said in the text or article – as well as leaving a sense of ambiguity for the audience.
Slide 8 & 9: Notable successes
  • Penguin Random House, shortlisted.
  • YCN UK greetings, highly commended.
  • These successes helped me grow in confidence in terms of the professionalisation of my practice.
Slide 10: Editorial and Adult Publishing
  • I have two sides to my practice.
  • On one side, I like to work on briefs that are content-driven and necessitate in-depth research.
  • As I said before I like to leave a sense of ambiguity and I generally do this through using symbolism and visual metaphor to communicate the content or concept of my illustrations.
  • Editorial and adult-publishing are two avenues within the creative industry that I think suit this approach to illustration and therefore I would potentially like to pursue as a freelancer beyond degree.
Slide 11: Self-Publishing and Illustrative products

  • However, almost as a continuation of my COP project, I see myself to continue exploring a more process-driven side of my practice.
  • I identify with contemporary practitioners like Nicolas Burrows or Jordy Van Nieuwendijk that work a lot in print.
  • Following the kind of clients they work for like Hato press or Gur, I see a potentially avenue for my practice to also be self-publishing or illustrative products. 
Slide 12 : But do I want to be a freelance illustrator?

  • Fears of being a freelance illustrator: isolation, dealing with financial instability, having a thick skin and determination. 
Slide 13: But we fortunate to have a passion

  • I understand that as a freelancer you may sometimes have to work on briefs that you do not enjoy, for the sake of money or promotion.
  • But, from working on a series of self-directed briefs during extended practice, it made me reflect upon the sense of fulfilment you can gain as a freelancer from producing a piece of work you really like, that draws attention to an issue you care about, says something about you or even working for a client you admire.
  • I would not want to deny myself the opportunity of pursuing something I enjoy so much as a career. A lot of people our age are not so lucky as to have a passion. 
Slide 14: Promotion
  • To pursue freelance work I branded myself as an illustrator and printmaker, with a website, Instagram and print promotional materials.
  • I now feel more confident to email and contact people having everything put together to a more professional standard. 
Slide 15: Pursuing a 9-5 creative job

  • Beyond degree I also, however, see myself pursuing jobs or internships on a more full-time basis within the creative industries. Why:
    • Good for networking and to build an understanding of the creative industries, before or even alongside becoming freelance.
    • I like the idea of being able to work within a studio environment again, with like-minded people and engaging with artistic practice even it is not my own.
    • I have strengths and interests in areas that I think would suit certain jobs within the creative industries e.g. I enjoy researching, writing, and talking to people about artistic practice and giving them constructive feedback – this could suit working for a creative online or print publication, being an art director, managing illustrators in creative agency or even college tutor.
  • Having an interest in print-making I would also like to pursue working in a print studio – as a studio manager, workshop assistant or even resident screen-printer.
  • For this I have been looking on jobs boards like ifyoucouldjobs.com.
  • I have already applied to a 3 month long internship at ItsNiceThat.com to be an editorial assistant. 
Slide 16: Mission Statement for the coming year

  • I would like to move to London at some point, ideally live there by this time next year.
  • I think having that base in mind is useful in looking for internships or jobs – being able to narrow my research to print studios, creative agencies or publications only based in London.
  • I would like to continue making work even if this is just on a personal basis – with plans of making some moving editorials over summer, as well as continue emailing people about my practice – even if this is just for some coffee and advice. 
Slide 17:  Any Questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment