Tuesday 8 May 2018

Scott Bakal Talk

I think Scott had a lot of insightful things to say about how approach the industry as a freelance illustrator, some of which really resonated with recent reflections on my practice. His practice, despite working commercially primarily in editorial, seemed mostly rooted in personal experience or his own opinions of current events.

I like how he talked about finding a driving force behind your work, and not to let commercial trends or the industry market to influence the fundamental core of your artistic practice. His emphasis on experimentation and passion projects again reinforced to me the importance of enjoying my own practice, and not worrying too much about creating work for the sake of being employed after degree. 

In a funny way a lot of what he spoke about was directly linked to a chat that I had with Matt last week about me finding a distinction between my artistic practice, that has come through in self-initiated briefs, and being a commercial illustrator, that in some ways is shown in the work I have entered into competitions this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment